New online/mobile-based service Zebigo is promoting and paying people in Seattle to carpool by connecting commuters with open seats. Check out the video.
Plizy, a new application uses a social algorithm to search what you and your friends do on social networks to help identify and recommend videos you’re likely to like. Essentially it looks at what types of videos your friends are watching and who’s on your twitter stream. The goal according to Plizy CEO Jonathan Benassaya is to make Plizy as good at recommending videos from the web as Netflix is for TV and movies.
I was pretty impressed with the service personally identifying all my mobile, tech and business channels including its pretty impressive list of pick and choose channel streams.
View more demos on their YouTube Channel
Another service has emerged that attempts to tap into the “social fabric of TV.” I’ve played around a whole lot of these services (Miso, GetGlue etc.) but have yet to find one that I can see myself adopting more than a week or so out of sheer novelty. Perhaps this one will change my mind. Some of you may remember a post a few months ago about a Shazaam’esque service that applies the technology to television viewing called “VideoSurf.” Well Into Now beat them to the punch hitting iTunes first. The technology identifies what you’re watching based on 12 seconds of input and then adds a social element allowing users to share what they’re watching on Netflix, iTunes & IMDB. It also integrates elements of passive discovery by recommending other programs you might like or the ability to search by topic. For instance, the image below are the results against “Charlie Sheen Winning!”
To celebrate New Year’s Eve, Toshiba has created an iOS and Android application that allows people to experience the ball dropping regardless of proximity. Below is a list of some of the features that people can access from their mobile devices.
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve 2011 LIVE
- Participate in the celebration by submitting New Year‘s photo for friends, family and other revelers to vote on photos with the most votes will be showcased on the Toshiba Vision sign atop One Times Square directly beneath the ball on December 31st
- Times Square history, news, weather, photos, relevant maps and LIVE Show schedule.
- Send New Year’s Eve kisses and share photos with friends and family.
- Watch live streaming video of the events in Times Square leading up to New Year’s Eve
- Customize your Toshiba Countdown Clock with your personal photo and time zone
- Check-in via Foursquare, Facebook and Twitter to find out how far away you are from Times Square.